SHREWSBURY – In addition to honoring former school committee member Mark T. Murray, the Shrewsbury Education Foundation recognized the 2013 recipients of the John P. Collin Awards for Excellence during an event Saturday.
The Collins Awards, named for former Shrewsbury Superintendent John P. Collins, are given “to those who continuously exemplify the high standards of professionalism and a commitment to lifelong learning.”
- Patrick O'Connor — special education teacher, Shrewsbury High School;
- Amy Prior — mathematics teacher, Shrewsbury High School;
- Amy Smith — physical education teacher, Floral Street School;
- Kara Vincelette — integrated special education preschool teacher, Parker Road Preschool.
- Mary Benjamin — child specific aide, Paton School;
- Jane Pineda — special education aide, Parker Road Preschool.
- Beth McCollum — volunteer coordinator, Shrewsbury Public Schools.
- Kara Frankian and Gina Kelly — first and second grade teachers, Floral Street School.
- Jayne Wilkin — principal, Paton School and Early Childhood Center.
The foundation also recognized the 2012-13 recipients of its educator grant program, which awards funds to teacher-led efforts to enhance education outside of the appropriated budget. Recipients included:
- Kristin Stewich, nurse, Parker Road Preschool: “Taking Root at Parker Road Preschool.”
- Ann Early and Kristine Gustafson, second grade teachers, Paton School: “Interactive Tools for Guided Math.”
- Ellen O'Leary, speech pathologist; Suzanne Margiano, school psychologist; and Cara Demoga, school psychologist, Floral Street School: “Strengthening the School Community Through Social Thinking and Self-Regulation.”
- Heidi Richard and Kara Frankian, second grade teachers, Floral Street School: “Global Education and Our Core Values.”
- Kitty Raymond, ESL teacher, and students Prashan Adhikari, Authru Gomes, Carlos Fraga, Shashin Kunduru, Sarah Lins and Beatriz Pereira, Calvin Coolidge School: “Empowering ELL's Learning With iPads.”
- Shirley LeMay, Coolidge and Paton schools health teacher and district adaptive physical education teacher: “Going Ape for A.P.E.”
- Carol Virzi, fifth grade ELA/social studies, Sherwood Middle School: “From Colonies to Constitution.”
- Nancy Bedard, media specialist; Maura Egan, eighth grade ELA; and Karen Gutekanst, seventh grade language arts teacher, Oak Middle School: “Research Matters for College and Career Readiness.”
- Rabecca Moisan, mathematics teacher, and Jean-Marie Johnson, director of mathematics, Shrewsbury High School: “Documenting Student Success.”
- Scott Bartholomew, science teacher, and Paul Wood, science/tech ed teacher, Shrewsbury High School: “Manufacturing Interesting in Engineering.”
- Shari Fox, art teacher, and students, Shrewsbury High School: “Drawing Tablets.”