No Injuries In Shrewsbury Fire

  • Comment
A Shrewsbury firefighter, after emerging from a house fire early Sunday morning.
A Shrewsbury firefighter, after emerging from a house fire early Sunday morning. Photo Credit: John Swinconeck
Shrewsbury firefighters fought a fire at 38 Weslehayn St.
Shrewsbury firefighters fought a fire at 38 Weslehayn St. Photo Credit: John Swinconeck

SHREWSBURY, Mass. — Shrewsbury Firefighters extinguished a house fire early Sunday morning. No injuries were reported.

The fire, at 38 Wesleyan St., was reported around 11 p.m on Saturday. The fire started inside the chimney at the attic level, spread to the walls, and descended to lower levels, according to Shrewsbury Fire Capt. Seth Colby,

The house belongs to the Corelli family, according to neighbor Russell Temple.

“I just say the cruiser out front, and I looked out the window and saw the smoke,” said Temple. “I said, 'uh-oh.'”

Temple said the fire spread quickly. “From the smoke to the flames it didn't take very long,” he said.

Chimney fires are more common this time of year. Shrewsbury Fire Chief Jim Vuona said that chimneys and fireplaces should be checked annually.

“If they haven't used the chimney in 15 or 20 years, it's a good idea to have it checked by a professional,” Vuona said.

Boylston and Westborough units also responded to the fire.

  • Comment

Comments