SHREWSBURY, Mass. — Shrewsbury pay-as-you-throw customers will, for the fifth year, be allowed to place at the curb one 35-gallon bag on their normal day of trash collection on the week of Dec. 26 to Dec. 31.
In addition, a single Christmas tree may be left by the curb without a sticker or attached PAYT bag from Dec. 26 to Jan. 31. That will also be picked up for free. All other rules associated with Shrewsbury's curbside waste collection remain in effect.
Selectmen reauthorized the pickup program Dec. 11.
Residents are encouraged to make use of the one free bag to discard nonrecyclable gift wraps, ribbons and Styrofoam packaging at the curbside.
"The board has taken this action as a small token of appreciation of the excellent efforts of Shrewsbury residents in making PAYT so successful during 2012," Town Manager Daniel Morgado said in a statement.
The collection of rubbish and recycling (green week) will be delayed one day due to the Christmas holiday. See the schedule below:
- If your collection day is Monday, Dec. 24, there is no change.
- Collections for Tuesday, Dec. 25, will be Wednesday, Dec. 26.
- Collections for Wednesday, Dec. 26, will be Thursday, Dec. 27.
- Collections for Thursday, Dec. 27, will be Friday, Dec. 28.
- Collections for Friday, Dec. 28, will be Saturday, Dec. 29.
The collection of rubbish and recycling (blue week) will also be delayed one day due to the New Year's holiday:
- If your collection day is Monday, Dec. 31, there is no change.
- Collections for Tuesday, Jan. 1, will be Wednesday, Jan. 2.
- Collections for Wednesday, Jan. 2, will be Thursday, Jan. 3.
- Collections for Thursday, Jan. 3, will be Friday, Jan. 4.
- Collections for Friday, Jan. 4, will be Saturday, Jan. 5.